The task of writing an academic paper can be very challenging for many students. In order to make the process of writing easier, you can break it into several stages, which you can manage one by one. This will help you compose an interesting paper for any subject. Follow the tips below to create a well-composed paper.
Guide on How to Write a Paper
The first thing you need to do when preparing a paper is to think about the topic. Sometimes you might get an assigned topic, but sometimes you need to be creative and think on what subject you want to write. Let’s consider these two possibilities:
- If you already have the subject then think on what type of paper you want to make – a general overview of an issue or analysis.
- If you were not given a topic, then you need to work a little more. However, in this case you have a chance to work with the subject that is of interest to you.
Then decide on the purpose of your paper – are you going to inform about something or are you going to persuade?
Once you know the purpose you will need to research the topics you find interesting. Make a list of the things you like and proceed from there.
If you want to educate with your paper, select a topic that you already know. If you want to prove your point of view then select a topic you are passionate about. Whatever the purpose is, make sure that the topic is interesting to you.
Preparation of an Outline
To make a professional paper you need to organize your thoughts. When you write down the ideas that come into your head you can see more connections between them and organize your ideas better. This outline of your ideas can also be a great base for your paper.
You can make an outline in the form of a diagram or a simple plan. You can choose the option you like the most.
Write a Thesis Statement
Now when you know the first step of how to write a paper in a professional way, you can start creating your thesis statement. The statement tells the reader the main idea of your paper and why you are writing it. Look at your plan and think about the main idea of your work.
Thesis statement should have two parts. The first one indicates the topic and the second one indicates the purpose.
Prepare a Body of Your Paper
In the body of your paper you need to present the following:
- Descriptions of your topic.
Every main idea from your plan should become a separate section in the main part of your paper.
All the body’s paragraph should be of the same basic structure. Use one of your ideas as an introductory sentence. Then write supporting ideas in sentences following the introductory sentence. Add examples to each paragraph in order to support your position.
Writing the Introduction and Conclusion
After you have developed your statement and prepared a body of your paper, you need to work on the introduction. The introduction should attract attention of readers and demonstrate the main point of your project.
It is best to start introduction with a special attention grabber. It can be a dialogue, some shocking facts, an entertaining story, a quote, or a summary of the topic. Whichever of these options you select make sure it is linked to the statement that will be the last sentence of the introduction.
The conclusion brigs a logical ending to the paper and sums up all your ideas providing a final point on the topic you were writing about. The conclusion should include three or five strong sentences. Review your main points again and reinforce your thesis.
The finishing touches
When you are done with the conclusion you need to pay attention to small details:
- Check the order of your paragraphs.
- The strongest ideas should be the first and last sentences in very paragraph.
- Read the instructions for your paper again and make sure you followed them in the process.
- Reread what you have written and see if everything is logical and makes sense. Check if the sentences smoothly follow each other and there are no abrupt ideas. If there are any add sentences that will make the connection smoother.
- Check your paper for errors, grammar mistakes, and compliance to the writing style.
Now you know how to write a paper professionally, so follow the tips and success is guaranteed.